The Comics Run: February 4, 2013

Hey, comic book world. These are the books I'm super excited for this week. We probably have different opinions, which is why this is the perfect opportunity for you to cruise it on over to the comments and strike up a healthy discussion about this week's most exciting books!

If you want a comprehensive list of everything that’s coming out this week and not just my own picks for what’s hot, check out Diamond’s shipping list.

Green Arrow #17 - $2.99

By Jeff Lemire & Andrea Sorrentino | DC

I’m cheating a little with this one. I’ve already read the issue, and I enjoyed it. While the full review is embargoed until Wednesday, I can say that this issue is a return to greatness for Oliver Queen. The incoming creative team have crafted an accessible new approach for Green Arrow with a visually distinct style that is far and away the most unique among DC’s main superhero titles.

That distinction used to be reserved for I, Vampire, which, not coincidentally, was handled by Andrea Sorrentino as well – IGN’s Best Artist of 2012.

Young Romance: A New 52 Valentine’s Day Special #1 - $7.99

By Various | DC

I’m a sucker for romance comics. They are a sorely missing component in today’s comic book landscape. And though DC’s Valentine’s Day special isn’t quite the kind of romance comics I’m talking about, I’ll take what I can get.

Not only do we get a bunch of short stories featuring some of our favorite DC heroes, but we also get some super rad valentines that we can cut out and give to our loved ones.

Including this one:

That’s just fun.

Fearless Defenders #1 - $2.99

By Cullen Bunn & Will Sliney | Marvel

If you didn’t read Fear Itself: The Fearless, the 12-issue maxi-series that followed up Fear Itself way back when, do yourself a favor and go check it out. It made Valkyrie, a character I never had any particular affection for, someone I wanted to read much more about. And with Fearless Defenders, Marvel is giving me just that.

Throw in the somewhat obscure Misty Knight and you’ve got a recipe for a totally unique experience courtesy of Marvel NOW! Hopefully Bunn and Sliney can use this title to reinvigorate a few forgotten Marvel heroines. Lookin’ at you, Night Nurse…

Secret Avengers #37 - $3.99

By Rick Remender & Matteo Scalera | Marvel

To some degree, Rick Remender’s turn on Secret Avengers never reached the hype and popularity of his Uncanny X-Force work, but many of the threads established in the latter were actually continued in the former, along with some things from his work on Venom. Issue #37 sees the big conclusion of it all as Secret Avengers prepares for a relaunch.

Obviously, this isn’t a place to jump on board if you’ve never read an issue before (though Matteo Scalera’s art would certainly be worth taking a gander at), but for those that have been around since the start, this is going to be one epic capper.

Snapshot #1 - $2.99

By Andy Diggle & Jock | Image

I’ll be honest with you. Before going to write this week’s Comics Run, I had no idea what this book was about. I just knew that I’d be buying it based on Andy Diggle and Jock alone; that’s more than enough for me. However, once I actually looked up the info about Snapshot #1, it shot to the top of my “can’t wait to read pile.”

Snapshot is the story of an everyday comic book store employee that stumbles across a lost cell phone that contains gruesome photos of a murder victim, which inevitably ropes our protagonist into the crime. Sold? Me too.

Joey is IGN's Comics Editor and a comic book creator. Follow Joey on Twitter @JoeyEsposito, or find him on IGN at Joey-IGN. He will love Star Wars until he becomes one with the Force, and then he will continue loving it as a blue ghost.


Source : feeds[dot]ign[dot]com

0 comments:

Post a Comment